Saturday, July 7, 2012

Interesting Faces from May 16, 2012

I notice patterns come and go in my work.  For the past 10 days or so it seems I have only been drawn to creating interesting and aged faces.  After my little brownie was complete I kept creating creatures.  An imp and goblin promptly added themselves to my shop.
Gerlach was my take on the banker-goblin.
Little Snort sports a tail and has made off with some poor soul's key again.
I also have several more new heads awaiting bodies.  These two will be additions to my elf collections.
I love examining faces and adding those character lines.  Each face appeals to me in different ways. I have a favorite quote by Paul Gardener that comes to mind when I work.  He said "A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places."  I feel that is equally as true with sculpting as it is with painting.  I get a distinct sense at some point in each piece that lets me know it is time to put my tools down.  I love to look at my windowsill and see many little heads awaiting their bodies and settings.  This phase of face-making may be winding down now since I have the urge to finish some of these creatures.  What will be next?  I am sure I do not know, but it should be fun finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment